Most foundations in the United States are foundations with few or no staff. These foundations do tremendous work efficiently and creatively, in all corners of the country, in a sustained, direct way.
- 69% of members employ paid staff. One quarter of these have one full-time person.
- 82.9 billion – estimated total fair market value of assets for ASF members
- $4.86 billion – estimated total grant dollars award by ASF members
- Two-thirds of member grants target local communities
- Almost two-thirds of ASF members are family foundations, slightly more than one-third are independently governed, and 2% percent are corporate foundations.
Statistics are from the 2011 Foundation Operations and Management Report.